Prana & Pranayama: Unveiling the Sacred Science of the Breath
April 16, 2018 - April 21, 2018| $900 if you register AND pay in full by February 12; $1150 thereafter due by March 12
“All knowledge you need comes through the breath of life.”
– Yogi Bhajan
Ancient sages have long known that the breath is the link that connects the mind body and spirit and that its power cannot be underestimated. In The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali the practice of pranayama is said to dissolve the veils that cover our inner light. It is the secret power within yoga and yet is so often misunderstood and under-utilized by modern practitioners.
Yogis understand prana as the vehicle or the medium of consciousness. Without prana consciousness would be unable to express itself. There is prana everywhere; it permeates every subtlety of the living Universe. All movement requires prana, and through it, one becomes aware of new dimensions of existence.
Pran is life force, ayaama means stretching, extending, restraining, expansion. Thus pranayama is a practice designed to extend and overcome one’s normal limitations, it is used to change old patterns, cultivate vitality and balance the mind.
This 60-hour certification course offers an in-depth look at prana and pranayama. It is an immersion into the application and practice of the sacred science of the breath. Participants will learn the correct use of pranayama, and its potential for increasing vitality and longevity, to calm and focus the mind, cleanse physical, emotional and mental disturbances and above all, to connect one to their spiritual heart. They will explore the experiences delivered through certain breathing techniques and learn how to integrate them into their own practice and life and how to safely share these practices with their students.
$900 if you register AND pay in full before February 12; $1150 thereafter due by March 12. Lodging is available at Mount Madonna Center starting from $630 to $980. Sign up Early to reserve your space. This training will fill up fast.
Prana & Pranayama Course Goals
- To deepen your practice of pranayama
- Explore the science of Prana Vidya
- Identify and understand the correct application of pranayama, including working with bhandas, mudras and mantra
- Experience a variety of different practices and their aims
- Build a ‘tool-box’ of pranayama techniques
- Understand the systematic application of pranayama to dissolve old patterns and reveal our inner light
- Apply these principles of prana and pranayama in our own practice and teaching
Themes Covered in Prana & Pranayama
- Overview of yogic subtle anatomy
- Prana: the secret power of the universe
- The five sub pranas and endless forms most beautiful
- Practices to sensitize one to the flow of prana
- Prana and the play of the gunas
- The purpose, benefits and core components of pranayama
- Asana, pranayama, bhanda and mudra – the ultimate combination
- Specialty blends – incorporating mudra and mantra
- The connection between mind and breath as discussed in the scriptures
- Kriyas to enhance purification of the nadis and awakening of consciousness
- Detailed Pranayama Techniques and durations
- Prana and Kundalini
- Kumbhaka – correct practices to create state and system change.
- Pranic healing practices
- Incorporating optimal pranayama techniques into your classes
- The practice of pranayama as a road to true freedom and liberation